hydrograsscorp.com has had many discussions over the years with current customers, potential customers, buyers, sellers and industry professionals about Commercial Driver Licenses, who needs them and for what vehicles. We’ve decided that it’s about time to get to the bottom of each states rules and regulations so that we can provide you with a gauge, based on each states website, of who needs a CDL and who does not. Although we did not confer with each and every officer from each and every state we did find the CDL Handbook offered by each state on their respective websites.

Here is a flow chart (PDF) showing when exactly a CDL is required in all six New England states and New York.

Please visit your states website should you want to confirm this information or would like additional information. We would recommend printing and carrying with your vehicle a copy of your states CDL requirements should you find the need to present this information to an officer.

  • Maine: www.maine.gov
  • New Hampshire: www.nhdmv.org
  • Vermont: www.dmv.vermont.gov
  • Rhode Island: www.dmv.ri.gov
  • Massachusetts: www.marmv.com
  • Connecticut: www.ct.gov
  • New York: www.dmv.ny.gov

Additional questions you have had are:

Q. My truck GVWR is rated at 26,000 lbs. It has air brakes. Do I need a CDL? Do I need an endorsement?
A. No. You do not need a CDL. You also do not need an air brake endorsement. For some bizarre reason, an air brake endorsement only applies to CDL drivers – an F750 equipped with air brakes and grossing at 26,000 lbs or less does not require a CDL or air brake permissions.

Q. I would like to put a 1200 gallon hydroseeder on a truck. Will I need a tanker endorsement?
A. It depends on the truck. If the truck has a GVWR of under 26,001 lbs. you do not need a CDL or a tanker endorsement. If the truck is over 26,000 lbs. then you need a CDL and a tanker endorsement for any unit or combination of units capable of carrying more than 1000 gallons.

*Disclaimer- hydrograsscorp.com recommends visiting your own states website for more information and will not be held responsible for any changes in the law or “gray areas” that may exist.