hydrograsscorp.com has had many discussions over the years with current customers, potential customers, buyers, sellers and industry professionals about Commercial Driver Licenses, who needs them and for what vehicles. We’ve decided that it’s about time to get to the bottom of each states rules and regulations so that we can provide you with a gauge, based on each states website, of who needs a CDL and who does not. Although we did not confer with each and every officer from each and every state we did find the CDL Handbook offered by each state on their respective websites. Posted below you will find a flow chart of when exactly a CDL is required in all six New England states and New York. Please visit your states website should you want to confirm this information or would like additional information. We would recommend printing and carrying with your vehicle a copy of your states CDL requirements should you find the need to present this information to an officer.

  • Maine: www.maine.gov
  • New Hampshire: www.nhdmv.org
  • Vermont: www.dmv.vermont.gov
  • Rhode Island: www.dmv.ri.gov
  • Massachusetts: www.marmv.com
  • Connecticut: www.ct.gov
  • New York: www.dmv.ny.gov

Additional questions you have had are:

Q. My truck GVWR is rated at 26,000 lbs. It has air brakes. Do I need a CDL? Do I need an endorsement?
A. No. You do not need a CDL. You also do not need an air brake endorsement. For some bizarre reason, an air brake endorsement only applies to CDL drivers – an F750 equipped with air brakes and grossing at 26,000 lbs or less does not require a CDL or air brake permissions.

Q. I would like to put a 1200 gallon hydroseeder on a truck. Will I need a tanker endorsement?
A. It depends on the truck. If the truck has a GVWR of under 26,001 lbs. you do not need a CDL or a tanker endorsement. If the truck is over 26,000 lbs. then you need a CDL and a tanker endorsement for any unit or combination of units capable of carrying more than 1000 gallons.

*Disclaimer- hydrograsscorp.com recommends visiting your own states website for more information and will not be held responsible for any changes in the law or “gray areas” that may exist.

As an award winning distributor of FINN Equipment in New England & New York, hydrograsscorp.com offers both new and like new pre-owned equipment, rental units and an array of thoroughly tested and proven consumable products including fiber mulches, fertilizer, grass seed mixtures, Finn consumable products and erosion control blankets. hydrograsscorp.com also offers authorized Finn Equipment service and winter storage at our locations in Maine and New Hampshire and have multiple mobile units for road support as well as a fully stocked parts department. The hydrograsscorp.com team is committed to providing the best products and service in the green industry.